A chat with promising young chef, Joshua Ross, Head Chef at Bellamy’s by Logan Brown.
Joshua Ross has been the Head Chef at Bellamy’s by Logan Brown for the past three years. The restaurant occupies the entire third floor of New Zealand’s House of Parliament in the famous Beehive building, with fabulous views over Parliament grounds. Bellamys is frequented by Members of Parliament and also open to the public.
Josh was previously the Sous Chef at the iconic and award-winning Logan Brown restaurant in Wellington. One of his career highlights is when he was first elevated to this role. Another career highlight was making the finals of the San Pellegrino Australian-Pacific Young Chef of the Year competition in 2016, and travelling to Melbourne to cook for five of Australia’s top chefs.
Under the Logan Brown banner and with Josh at the helm, Bellamys has been reinvented as a modern contemporary restaurant in the heart of the parliamentary precinct. About 20% of the diners work at Parliament while the remaining 80% are members of the public.
Josh is careful to select only the finest ingredients with a focus on seasonal fare and supporting NZ producers who have a story to tell. The menu offers a two or three course menu for both lunch and dinner, which changes regularly.
He is a regular user and keen supporter of Coastal Lamb and Coastal Spring Lamb – it’s the only lamb they serve at Bellamys. He appreciates the consistency of our lamb, its tenderness and great flavour – “You can definitely taste the saltiness”. He also gets great feedback from his discerning clientele about the lamb.
Josh loves the buzz of Parliament. “Working in the Beehive is a bit surreal”. It’s a prestigious institution and he feels privileged to have cooked for lots of VIPs including Prime Ministers, ex-Prime Ministers, influential business leaders and international delegations. For Josh, sharing his love of food and what he and his team do is awesome. “It’s why I do hospitality.” Josh is a passionate, creative, innovative and highly talented chef who loves his work.